Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I am an Aunt (Part II)!

equanimity: n., mental or emotional stability or composure, esp. under tension or strain; calmness; equilibrium.

I am officially, legitimately an aunt with a little nephew with five fingers and toes. Now, I may be a little biased, but I think he is the cutest thing ever!



Although I've been on break for a while now, with the birth of Marcus, the various odd jobs I've been taking on, and a lovely visit from Mary Ann and her friend Ros, little time has been afforded for me to blog. However, I have thought of many things I've been wanting to blog about, 99% of which escape me at this moment. I swear that with my advanced age I am losing more and more of my memory. This seems to irk many people since I forget important details about friend's lives, from the kind of car they drive to the country they live in (really, that happened once!). Does this make me a bad friend? Well, in my mind, I don't care about them any less than I used to, but I am trying to make a concerted effort to pay better attention.
Back to Marcus - he is really healthy, active, and alert. He's already got the pressure on him to be really smart, because all of the family seems to agree that he seems to be paying attention to everything around him, even though they say he can't see past a few inches at such a young age.
Maybe I should take some lessons from him on how to pay attention. You would think my mom would take a break from pressuring me to have kids now that she finally has the grandchild she has always wanted, but now it seems like the pressure is on even more since she wants a granddaughter to complete the set and seems intent on me and Kyle providing one to her ASAP. I've just resorted myself to the fact that no matter how many times I explain to her that I have to wait until I'm done with school her persistence will never wane.
The other day we were over at Cathee and Mike's house just staring at Marcus, and he started getting fussy and flailing his arms about.
Dad: "He's looking for his thumb to suck on."
Me: "As long as he doesn't suck it until he's five years old, like I did."
Mom: "That's why you're so calm all the time, because you used to pacifiy yourself when you were young so you don't get upset easily."
Now, I've always been told that I have a certain quality of equanimity about me, but never really thought about that as one of the reasons. It makes sense to me though. So maybe sucking your thumb will cause you to need braces later in life, but at least you'll be a conent person, right?
Today is supposed to be my first official day of relaxation during my vacation. Actually, it was supposed to be yesterday but some last minute stuff had to be taken care of, and I spent the day running around as usual. Today I've been doing pretty good on the relaxation front:
9:20AM - Wake up
9:20-10:00AM - Watch Rachael Ray
10:00AM-10:45AM - Watch The View and read Barack Obama's new book during commerical breaks
10:45AM-11:15AM - Check e-mail, fantasy celebrity scores, etc.
11:15AM-11:50AM - Blog
Hopefully I'll eventually get around to taking a shower. Me = gross.


3 comments:

BROB said...

Since the male carries the genes for sex, you will probably have a boy, we don't have a lot of girls.
But when the time comes, whatever the sex, it will have lots of love.
Glad to hear you are relaxing. You deserve it!
GB

Laughing Fool said...

Marcus = 2nd cutest thing ever. Cheryl = Cutest thing ever.

Awwww.

suzanna said...

you should hold a thumb-sucking workshop for our cohort to keep us calm for the next year and a half. i saw a typo in this post! (teehee.)