Monday, July 17, 2006

Coffee Junkie

desuetude - n. cessation of use

HAPPY 2 YEAR ANNIVERSARY TO ME & KYLE! Here's to spending the two best years of my life con mi persona favorita en todo del mundo.

I've been having trouble sleeping lately, so have been completely relying on coffee to get me through my days. I usually only have one cup a day, which I suppose is not too bad, but I would rather rely on my own energy sources than to be dependent on the Bucks (Starbucks that is). First of all, it's way too expensive a habit to have. I've been pretty good lately about only drinking coffee at home or at the office, but the occassional Starbucks stop really adds up. When I first started working, me and my co-workers used to go to the Bucks at least two times a day. How I managed to do that on a $26,000 a year salary, I'll never know. But think of the cost:

An average $3.50 per cup of coffee
x 2 times a day
x 5 work days a week
x 52 work weeks
= $1,820 per year

Yikes! I could have invested that money into a 401k or a Roth IRA (yes Kyle, I do sometimes pay attention to your finance talk). Had I done so,I would have been a few thou richer by now. I actually went through a good period where I practiced desuetude from coffee, although my reputation as a coffee addict precedes me. Probably because my friends know how excited I can get at the prospect of a tall coffee Frappuccino on a hot summer day, or during the winter months, a tall non-fat white mocha. Somehow I can never escape the stigma of being coffee reliant. I guess when I do fall off the caffeine wagon, I go big or go home!

On a completely unrelated note, I have a confession to make. That new Paris Hilton song, Stars are Blind? Yeah, I kind of like it. I was driving along in my car the other day, minding my own business, when that song came on I actually turned up the volume much to my horror and dismay. It was like my hand had a mind of it's own, even though my brain was willing it to stop before I touched the volume dial. And to make matters worse, I turned it up AGAIN! Two times! And the second time was even worse because at least the first time I barely realized what I was doing. **shudder**

If I ever start putting extensions in my hair and incorporating "That's hot" into every other sentence, somebody slap me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that paris hilton song is addictive because it's a total rip off of gwen stefani and before GS, i think blondie...but totally know what u mean. doesn't even matter what the lyrics are, it's an addictive melody.

Anonymous said...

The even scarier thing that you could have added to your equation is the power of compounding interest.

But hey hindsight is 20/20. Just think of all those fun moments we had commuting together - those runs to Starbucks were more of an escape from that evil empire in Newport Beach. So it was actually a small price to pay to save your sanity.

BROB said...

Happy Anniversary Cheryl. Can't believe it has been two years.
Sometimes we need a liitle comfort, if you got it in coffe, that is not bad. Could have been booz.
gb

cici said...

happy anniversary!!!! you guys are so cute =)

and i barely heard the paris hilton song for the first time yesterday and yeah i kinda like it too haha. i'd be less ashamed if it weren't paris. but it's cute and catchy.

lil jay said...

happy anniversary...belated!!!

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested