Thursday, May 18, 2006

The CW

proclivity - n. inclination

Today I went to a station event where they were broadcasting the upfront presentation for the new CW network (WB/UPN network merge) in New York. Even though I work in a fairly laid back industry, there is still that business element to it that every now and then makes me feel completely out of place. Case in point, one of the network big wigs was talking about how they are trying to target the Adults 18-34 demographic (I'm still in the demographic, yay!). To introduce the new programming for this demo, the ads showcasing their primetime line up will feature a song by the Black Eyed Peas. Here's where it got interesting:

Stuffy Network Suit: "And now ladies and gentlemen, the Black Eyed Peas!"

Spattering of applause throughout the audience. Out comes Fergie in her signature jump suit and over the top gold glitter
eyeshadow. Apl d sporting his dreads and sunglasses inside. They start singing. Fergie strips off her sweatshirt to
reveal her tiny black sports bra. More singing. Silence from the audience.

I mean, how weird would it be to be this huge musical group, used to performing in front of hoards of adoring fans, and there you are gyrating and doing back flips in front of a stoic, expressionless audience? I have a natural proclivity towards that type of music, so I would have been completely excited to be there. But I had to hold back my excitement, since everyone around me watching the broadcast just didn't seem to get it. I felt awkward for the BEP even from way across the other side of the country.

The best part of the upfront was when Chris Rock came out and told everyone they should start spending money on the CW because the role of young Chris in "Everybody Hates Chris" is now going to be played by a white girl. He went on and on about how there are going to be plenty of white people on the network, even random ones that will pop up every now and then and just be like, "Hey, I'm white!". And he ended it by saying "Now you all better spend some motherfucking money!" Coming from Chris Rock in the middle of such a stuffy presentation...it was just priceless. Hilarious.

1 comment:

Laughing Fool said...

Imagine if they played for the crowd I work for. HA!