Monday, June 12, 2006

Ranting Continued

Is it better to be an overly confident asshole or a humble person who sincerely cares about other people? I think society tells us to try to be the former rather than the latter. Not that I think confidence and caring cannot occur simultaneously, but sometimes I just think that those who pretend they are the be all and end all are revered in this world. Does it matter that their entire self worth is based on how much better they consider themselves to be than everyone else? I may not be the world's most confident person, but for the most part I derive happiness in the fact that I consider my finest quality to be my capacity for compassion rather than my ability to bullshit my way into or out of any situation.

I'd like to say at 30 I'm an entirely self assured person, but that would be an untruth. What I can say about myself is that I care a lot about my family, my friends, and humankind in general. I am happy with the intelligence level I possess. Even though this post is on the judge-y side, I try my hardest not to constantly critique and judge everyone around me. I'd say I've done a decent job at being an accepting person overall. The major exception to my acceptance is when I feel like someone is not willing to be accepting of me. Sure, I know I shouldn't apply "rules" to my acceptance level, but for some reason or other I can't help but feel like people who don't accept me don't necessarily earn my 100% acceptance in return. I'm working on being more open minded in that regard. Perhaps it's something that will evolve over time. Hey, nobody's perfect, least of all me.

I promised myself that I was going to try to make my blog a place where I could be more positive overall, but you know, I guess I can't pretend to be positive all the time. Sometimes you need a bad day to get your thoughts cleared. There's always tomorrow...

No comments: