Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Taking the Plunge Part Two!

intransigent - adj., uncompromising

Well folks, it's official. I gave my notice yesterday and am now on my way to a new career in school counseling. It's kind of surreal to think that I will no longer be a part of the crazy world of advertising. Oh advertising, parting is such sweet sorrow. No longer will I have the pleasure of taking advantage of fun perks like concert tickets and American Idol tapings, nor will I likely ever be taken to a free dinner at Morton's or the Ivy or Spago. Poor me, I will have to pay for my own meals from hereon forward. What I won't miss: last minute changes, crazy hours (more so in L.A. than here), unreasonable clients (who shall remain nameless).

Every job has it's disadvantages. I am by no means going into this new career thinking that everything will be perfect. But I am excited to be working at something that I am really passionate about. Every kid in this world deserves to have the same chances in life as the next child. If I can help level the playing field as a school counselor, I will be overjoyed. I can never understand people who think they are fundamentally better than other people just by being born. Really, that's what racism, sexism, classism, and pretty much any other ism you can think of is about. We all have this need to feel like we are better than other people. I'm not saying I'm completely innocent of it myself, but I am at my happiest when I am not trying to impress other people, and I'm just happy with being me.

"Perfect" is such a relative term anyway. What's perfect to one person is not necessarily perfect to the next. If we are all striving towards this one idea of "perfection" just so we can feel like people look at us and say, "Wow, that person is perfect in every way", well, I've got news for you honey. No matter who you are or what you do, there is going to be somebody out there that will talk shit about you. One of the most accurate cliches is "You can't please all the people all of the time." I used to want to do that, and I practically drove myself crazy doing so. Now I am just happy if my family and friends can accept me for who I am, because I certainly try to accept and love them in an intransigent, unconditional way.

Anyway, sorry to get on my pedestal just now. I've had a lot on my mind and needed to get a little out. I am really excited to go back to school though. Starting over at 30 won't be easy, but I'm going to do my best. Luckily I've got the world's greatest husband to help me through. :)

3 comments:

Laughing Fool said...

Who's the husband?

lil jay said...

best of luck!!!

cici said...

aw no more gift certificates to red pearl! good luck cheryl =)